IHEU is sponsoring a conference on “Sex and Secularism” in conjunction with the IHEU General Assembly in Montréal, Canada, from August 3 to 5, 2012. The conference will explore how Humanists can tackle the taboos and problems, challenges and opportunities that surround sexuality and gender.
Conference topics include:
- The Means of Reproduction: Sex, Power & the Future of the World
- Humanism and the Rights of Women
- Does the Freethought Movement have a Gender Problem?
- How Religion and Secularism Affect Your Sex Life
- Religion’s War on Women and Sex
- Why Humanism and the LGBT Movement are Growing Together
Speakers already confirmed include:
- Michelle Goldberg, award winning author and senior contributing writer for Newsweek.
- Maryam Namazie, spokesperson for Equal Rights Now, One Law for All, and the Council of Ex-Muslims of Britain.
- Robert J Sawyer, futurist and the only Canadian ever to win all three of the world’s top Science Fiction awards for novel of the year.
- Rebecca Watson, founder of Skepchick and co-host of the Skeptics’ Guide to the Universe
- Darrel Ray, author of Sex and God
- Sonja Eggerickx, president of IHEU
- Andrew Copson, IHEU vice president and CEO of the British Humanist Association
- Roy Brown, IHEU main representative at the UN Human Rights Council
- Kristin Mile, secretary general of the Humanist Association of Norway, the world’s largest freethought organization.
Conference languages are English and French, with simultaneous translation available.
The conference is hosted by Humanist Canada and Association humaniste du Québec at the Hilton Bonaventure in downtown Montréal, while the IHEU General Assembly will be hosted at the Humanist Center of the Fondation Humaniste du Québec.
For more information on the “Sex and Secularism” conference, including hotel info and registration forms, go to www.humanistconference.ca. For details on the General Assembly, including registration forms, go to www.iheu.org/ga2012